Description

An Invitation to an Amazing Oaxacan Adventure

Sunday, May 6, 2018

To Bargain or not to Bargain


There's so many beautiful, handmade, high skill set textiles and other awesome crafts available in Oaxaca.  The question always comes up on a tour about whether to bargain or not to bargain. Basically, bargaining has never been my strong suit.  I like what one of my early tour goers, who now spends months a year in Oaxaca and, rumor has it, owns some spectacular local clothing, had to say about bargaining (from Norma Schafers' blog Oaxaca Cultural Navigator which you can read by clicking here) -
"I never bargain in Oaxaca. If an artisan gets more money than he/she expected from me, and maybe even thinks me a fool, I don’t care. I have so much and most artisans have so little. To buy for a higher price is a way to help without the stigma of “charity”. I have bought things I can’t use, or can’t pack to take home, as a thank you for craft demonstrations. Even if buying from a reseller, rather than the original maker, I think sitting in a market booth for hours is hard work too. " - Jill Bennett

I might add, that if the artisan makes the first move to bargain, which, if it's going to happen, usually happens when you walk away, that, in this kind of instance, it's OK to bargain a little.  Or maybe a little discount if you're buying a big quantity.  But my experience is that the sellers in a Mexican market can be generous and often throw in a little extra something something as a way of saying thank you at the very end of the sale. Without exception, when I buy in Oaxaca,  I always feel like I am getting a spectacularly good price for something beautiful. Most artisans don't charge enough.  (there I said it).....
 

No comments:

Post a Comment