Description

An Invitation to an Amazing Oaxacan Adventure

Tuesday, June 13, 2017

Visiting the Alebrije Carver Martin Melchor


I first saw Martin Melchor's work at the Laura Barata show on stiltwalkers at the Museo de Textil in Oaxaca.  He had this whole table in one room with about thirty carvings of animal stiltwalkers dressed in fanciful costumes. Not really my style, but the little girl in me was enchanted. I spent some time marveling at them.


Senor Melchor comes from a town San Martin Tilcajete where many people in the town have devoted themselves to woodcarving. But his style is distinctive and probably the most folksy and primitive of them all. I was delighted to be able to visit his home studio with our tour.


Unfortunately for us, but very good for him, he didn't have too much work for sale because much of his time was being taken up by filling internet orders.  Now that's some globalization I like. He's able to find an audience that appreciates his art. He was a very tender and sweet man.  Click here if you'd like to see more of his work.

No comments:

Post a Comment